Public transportation is huge in Holland; the metro system, trains, and buses are very popular. Another form of transportation that is frequently used by the Dutch is the bicycle. There are twice as many bikes as cars in Holland. Because the country is small and everything is close together, the Dutch can easily transport themselves by the bicycle; The Netherlands has at least 9400 miles of bicycle tracks. This gives people a great sense of freedom because they don’t have to rely on gas and a car to go places.
Back home, my family did not own a car; we either walked or rode our bikes to nearby places. You’re thinking, “Wow, that’s so old school! I wonder if she rode her bike with her wooden clogs and traditional Dutch clothing on!” You know…some people actually ask me this question in a serious manner. I crack up every time and kind of feel sorry for these individuals. NO! We don’t still wear klompen, or wooden shoes everywhere. Are you crazy? Haha.
Two wheels, two pedals, one handle, and a lovely comfortable seat – who could ask for anything more? Oh, and not to mention that it is extremely environmentally friendly and cheap! You could probably find a nice, new ride for around 200 Euros! ;) Just think about how much money you would save if you didn’t have to pay for car payments, auto insurance, gas, oil changes, and license and plate renewals. Not to even mention paying for car part replacements and other issues that may arise – okay, I’ll stop here! I know that I’m getting some of you fired up and angry.
You won’t find too many overweight and obese people in The Netherlands. Instead of walking two steps to their cars, and sitting down on warm, cozy, massage chairs, the Dutch walk to their nice orange bikes and pedal away! You feel so lazy now, don’t you? Oh, and I was just kidding; all bikes there are not orange!
I don’t think pedaling will ever be this nation’s main type of transportation; I’m not delusional. America has a very large population and most states are not completely flat like Holland is. You see those brave bikers on the tiny lanes once in a while; they only freak you out and turn you into super careful drivers for two minutes. You probably think, “Oh crap! What the hell is this guy doing on the BIKE LANE?! Seriously?" Then you feel bad for being a jerk and say to yourself, "Awe…the man is too poor to buy a car!” You then gracefully smile and drive away...carefully! It rarely crosses our minds that these people enjoy riding their bicycles -- they are acting green, saving a lot of money, and being healthy!
Since I really miss cruising around on a bike, I’ve decided to buy one over the Christmas break and riding it to nearby stores or to the park, or something. I’m definitely not planning on riding it on these busy streets because well, I don’t want to die! I’m still young!
Here’s a song named “These Streets” by Paulo Nutini. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDGB2gu6Ank&feature=player_embedded

I do wish this place was more non-car commuter friendly. I'm grateful for my car cause I didn't get one until I was almost 21, I had become a pro at bumming rides.
ReplyDeleteA bike would be really nice, I haven't gotten to ride one since I was a kid. However, 10 miles down 41 or 75 (which would be illegal) probably isn't the safest way to get to work.
Yeah, Britney's right about the legality of bikes. You're not even allowed to use them to get most places! I had a friend who did anyway - used a bike to get down one exit on 575 - and got hit by a car. Because he wasn't supposed to be there, HE got blamed for the accident. It's super-dangerous to ride on a bike around this town.
ReplyDeleteI wish the area was more pedestrian-friendly. I like walking to places; it's how we do it in Mexico. But there's not even a sidewalk coming out of my neighborhood, and crosswalks last 3 seconds (I've counted) no matter how far you have to walk to the other side. This area is very anti-pedestrian. =(
But, yeah. Thanks for making me feel lazy! Haha.