Today was by far the most stressful day of my life. I haven't slept in two days because I had a million and seven things to do today. I have been on campus since 8:00AM to take the wonderful chemistry ACS final. Last night, I realized that the eighteen dollar preparatory booklet that I purchased at the beginning of the year requires at least a couple of months of studying. Seriously. The concepts aren’t hard; they’re just super confusing and frustrating. I’m so glad that general chemistry is behind me now! Pheew. The word on the street, or on campus, is that the department curves the grades by twenty to twenty-five points... I am hoping for this to be a fact. Dental school is very competitive! I need to do well in these sciences.
Chemistry this semester was my worst nightmare. It’s one of those things that doesn’t make sense right away and ends up giving you a migraine.
The funny thing is that in the end, I actually understood the concepts and enjoyed them a bit. Key word: a bit. The new friends that I made in this class helped me stay sane. Misery brings people together, doesn't it?
To make my day even more exciting, I had a calculus exam right after chemistry. It was much more difficult than chemistry even thought it wasn’t even a standardized exam! The class had three hours to take the exam -- it took most people, including myself, the entire time to finish. My brain hurts.
It's in my family culture to work hard. Most of my family members are very successful individuals who want their children to follow in their footsteps. My mother never forced me to be studious or anything, but the way she brought me up has influenced my values greatly. She indirectly raised me to be a nerd. Awesome.
I know that I won’t drop out of school no matter how hard or stressful my sciences get; I wouldn’t really know what to do with myself if I did. I’m not the type of person to club every day or treat life as if it is a party. Yeah –I’m pretty old-school and nerdy. Oh well.
This society is starting to look down on slackers and lazy people who don’t care about better themselves. To me, that’s more boring than the lack of partying.
Tonight, I’m treating myself to new shoes and a few glasses of wine. Oh…and sleep if the excitement of being done with chemistry doesn’t get in the way! Wee!
Cheers!

Aww, I'm sorry it's been so stressful, but let's be glad that we're done! PHEW.
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree. Not partying is WAY better than failing out of school or being a bum. Then again, I love school. :P True nerdly fashion. Let's stick together on this one! Hahaha.
I can't say that my parents never forced me to be studious - because they did - but it became something that needed no forcing. I wanted to succeed, so here I am working my toosh off. The value of education varies greatly cross-culturally - believe me, I've done tons of research on this, hehe - and it really shows in the parental involvement of these children.