Friday, November 27, 2009

It is Time for a REAL Vacation

Hello, everybody! First, I’d like to apologize for taking forever and a half to blog to you; I know that you’ve been dying to know what I am all about and what I’ve got to say. ;) I hope that you’re all enjoying your few days off from school, work, and sleep deprivation…I know I am!

So, do you call this a vacation? A three day escape is definitely not enough for me. In Holland, my home country, both workers and students get about three months off from their hectic work. Life does get wild; it makes individuals stressed, rude, ill, and boring. Maybe the Europeans are using their minds after all.

Since Holland is a social country, vacation is a lot of times funded by the government. I know, it sounds too good to believe, but it is true! I really can’t think of anything better than a paid break from life. It’s like saying, “Hello ma’am, how would you like to take a few months off and get paid while you go to Italia for a nice, long vacation!?” Would you say, “No thank you, I’d rather stay here and slave around the office a bit more”? I didn’t think so. :)

I’ve realized that many individuals in this country are working more than eight hours a day. These people come home tired, hungry, and unhappy thinking, “When will this end?” And after some time, they lose passion. What humans need is a fresh start, you know, a new Energizer bunny battery. An exciting time in Paris, a relaxing month at the beach, or just some time off to stay at home to enjoy that delicious bottle of wine will recharge the human mind, body, and soul. Renewed, we can take full pleasure in our daily activities.

You may not be fortunate enough to take three months off…I mean, this is “Amerikaaaarrr.” Haha, I know, a bit random, but my mom calls it that; the word “kar” means work in my language. We are definitely worthy of a nice vacation every now and then because we work hard and are doing the best that we can to live successful and happy lives.

Don’t hesitate to reward yourself to a trip or some time off from work and your daily routine. You are one person with one brain and one body…everything will certainly not get done at once. Relax and learn from the Europeans -- they just seem so happy and content. Make it part of your culture to take it easy once in a while!

Enjoy the rest of this week off! Have a glass of wine while you study for your finals, or something.

Cheers! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness I'd love to have a three month paid vacation. I agree that this country is made of workaholics. But I don't believe everyone wants to be that way. Life has been made to where you have to work so much to either get ahead or just because you need that many hours to pay your bills.
    I went to see my family for Thanksgiving this year. Now that I'm back I have to work a lot harder to get my work done. Haha I think my vacation was overruled by my work as soon as I got back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a recession; that's why I'm doing stay-cationing this year. ;)

    ReplyDelete